Today I should have been making jewellery, and I promise that in the next two days there will be more added to the site! Instead I made these cup cakes! It’s been a while since I have had a chance to bake and I was really in the mood today. I made chocolate brownies and these yummy Lemon cup cakes! Here’s the recipe if you fancy a go at them yourself!
Ingredients to make 12.
For the Cakes
4 oz (110g) Self Raising Flower
4 oz (110g) Caster Sugar
4 oz (110g) Unsalted butter
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 Large Free Range Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Frosting
5 oz unsalted butter
10 oz icing sugar
Yellow Food Colouring
Nice things to decorate with!
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas mark 3. Remember that all oven vary so you may need to adjust accordingly!
2. Line a cake or muffin tray with your paper cake cases.
3. Mix the butter with an electric whisk until it is light in colour.
4. Add the sugar and whisk again until soft and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix again.
6. Sieve the flour and baking powder into your bowl and mix one more time.
7. Divide the mixture between the cake cases and bake in the oven for about twenty minutes. The cakes are cooked when they are golden brown and they spring back when touched. Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool.
8. With a tea spoon cut out a circular well in the middle of the cake, fill with lemon curd and then cover back over with the sponge you have just cut out
9. To make the frosting whisk the soft butter and gradually add the icing sugar a bit at a time. Add some yellow food colouring and squeeze in the lemon juice and mix well. Fill a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle with the Frosting and pipe a swirl of it on top of each cake. Decorate as you wish!
Many Thanks to the Cake Goddess Laura Sparling who provided her Basic Vanilla Cup Cake recipe on her blog some time ago. I always use this recipe and adapt it to whatever flavour cup cakes I want to make!
View the full post